- 1 lb cocktail shrimps
- Marinade: ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp black pepper, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 – 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 3/4 inch fresh ginger
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Herb mixture: ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp turmeric, 2 tsp cilantro, 1 tsp curry powder
- 7 oz chopped tomatoes
- 1¼ cup coconut milk
Makes four servings of shrimp curry.
1. In a small bowl, combine the shrimps with all the spices in the marinade and lemon juice. Cover with foil and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for around half an hour.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and briefly sauté the shrimps. Foppen cocktail shrimps are already cooked and peeled, so only cook them for up to 2 minutes. Remove them from the pan and add extra oil if necessary.
3. Chop the onion, press the garlic and finely chop the ginger, and cook on low heat until the onions become translucent. Add the spice mixture and continue to cook briefly. At this stage, you should be able to smell the spices as they are cooking.
4. Add the tomato cubes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the coconut milk after 5 minutes and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Season the curry to taste with salt, add the fried shrimps, and heat for another 2 minutes. Delicious with rice and a fresh cucumber salad.
Tip: can also be served with freshly baked naan bread. Great for dipping into the curry.